Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Travel :: Ocean House Hotel


This Labor Day we will be back home for a wedding, but I'm wishing that instead we were visiting the famed Ocean House in Rhode Island.  A Relais & Chateaux property, this iconic New England resort is located on the bluffs of beautiful Watch Hill, RI.  The hotel first opened in 1868, however it was closed in 2004 thanks to years of neglect that left it "beyond repair."  In 2004 a new structure replicating the original exterior design was conceived.  Today, the hotel has been recreated to convey the romance of its storied past and the rich character of Watch Hill, Rhode Island.  More than 5,000 salvageable artifacts and furnishing elements were harvested from the original structure’s historic interiors.

The gorgeous hotel is decorated in a coastal chic style {those guest rooms!} which have me feeling some serious design envy.  There are a variety of dining options across the resort which feature classic New England seafood and cocktails.  For those wanting an active holiday the resort offers croquet, squash, yachting, golf, tennis, biking, fishing, and surfing.  For those who want a more low-key getaway, there is a five-star spa, gorgeous cabana rentals, and about a million different places to curl up with a glass of wine, a good book, and relax to the sounds of the ocean.  What a dream!


10 comments:

  1. So, so jealous that you're going there! It's a property I'm dying to stay at... I've driven by off-season and it still looks equally appealing. Can't wait to see your photos/recap!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Rhode Island and I have always wanted to stay at this amazing property! The guest rooms are incredible and I'm sure I would never want to leave!

    www.livinginsteil.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! The views are incredible, especially from that porch. That's where I would be the whole time!! Well, unless I was taking a dip in that amazing pool!!


    www.taffetaandtulips.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is that even real!? Looks like a dream... sign me up please!

    ReplyDelete
  5. these types of places are so outside of my world i'd never know they even were in existence if it weren't for you blog! so lovely! i think i could just live in that first room. and that pool! this place is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wowza! Now that's how to do the beach! ;) xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is beautiful! I've never been to Rhode Island - there's so many places close by that I'm dying to visit and I'll have to add this to the list.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ahh, right in my home state of RI! Newport is so beautiful in the summer. I've never stayed at the Ocean House, but these photos certainly make me want to add it to my wish list!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh. My. Goodness. This place is just incredible! I could totally see myself seeing on that gorgeous terrace, having a glass of champagne.... or just chilling in one of these beautiful guest rooms. You have me dreaming now.... ;-)

    ReplyDelete